latest copy of Dover
DOVER HISTORICAL SOCIETY All events are free of charge and open to the public. Refreshments will be served.
All are welcome!
The Dover Historical Society announces the reopening of the Sawin Museum
The Dover Historical Society announces the reopening of the Sawin Museum on Saturday, September 1 from 1:00p.m. – 4:00 p.m. as regularly scheduled. Featured is the main floor WWI exhibit which has received wide acclaim. Don’t miss the opportunity to view this 100th Anniversary exhibit which will close at the end of November. The Museum will be open each Saturday afternoon as above. Individual appointments can also be arranged by contacting the Curators at 508-785-0229 or 508-785-0567.
Caryl Farm will remain closed
Caryl Farm will remain closed at least through the end of September while the Historical Society continues its battle with an active powder post beetle infestation in both the Caryl House and Fisher Barn. The Society had hoped to complete this process by the end of the summer, but that has not been possible. It is hoped that the buildings can once again be open to the public beginning in October.
Dover Historic Society Preservation Award
Sixth Annual Preservation Award
Becky and Doug Gladstone's home at 46 Farm Street receives the Sixth Annual Preservation Award. On land originally purchased in 1759, the house was built in 1831 by Willard Mann and in 1853 became Asa Talbot's dairy farm. After purchasing the house, three barns, and the only surviving wooden silo in Town in 1999, the Gladstones have made steady progress in renovating their home, which now is situated on 2.5 acres. Initial projects included a well and electrical and septic systems in addition to stabilizing the barn. In 2003 construction transformed the first barn and space above the stables in the second barn into living space. A year later the third barn was raised and the silo received windows and a door. The original house was renovated. Especially noteworthy is the extent of reuse of materials. Tongue and groove boards, bead boards, beams, joists, wallboards, floorboards, and antique glass windowpanes all have found new life in other areas of the house. This home epitomizes the goal of the Preservation Award Committee to celebrate thoughtful renovation rather than demolition.
It is a pleasure for the Historic Preservation Award Committee, consisting of Jill French, Priscilla Jones, chair, Sara Molyneaux, and Charlotte Surgenor, to consider nominations from the community each year. The Award is presented at the Society's Annual Meeting in March.
Please consider nominating a house you admire by sending the name of the
homeowner and the address by 1 February 2017 to the Dover Historical Society,
Box 534 or doverhistoricalsociety.org.
Priscilla Pitt Jones
Preservation Award winners are:
2016 Becky and Doug Gladstone's home at 46 Farm Street
2015 Sara Molyneaux
2014 Henry and Jean Stone house at 95 Centre Street
2013 Third Annual Preservation Award -- Susan and Edward Fitzgerald home at 2 Main Street
2012 Second Annual Preservation Award – William and Rachel Motley home at 8 Haven Street
2011 First Annual Preservation Award – David Lewis home at 1 Pegan Lane
About the Award
The Town of Dover has a fascinating history and the past informs our understanding of the present. The Dover Historical Society seeks to interpret and preserve our physical, material, and cultural heritage. Even a casual observer can recognize the changes that have occurred in recent years. We wish to celebrate those who have chosen preservation. A yearly Preservation Award will be presented at the March Annual Meeting to an individual or group which has facilitated the:
restoration of a historic home or building
appropriate design of an addition
re-creation of a historic landscape.
If you wish to nominate an individual or group, nomination forms are available on our website, doverhistoricalsociety.org, or in the Old Home Day Booklet. Please consider helping us bring positive attention to outstanding preservation efforts.
Dover Historic House Marker Program
Dover has a wide variety of architectural styles that add to both its charm and history. Included are farmhouses from the 18th century and large country estates built by Bostonians during the period from 1901 to 1914. We have single homes such as the Teepee House (built in 1912), the E.F. Hodgson's portables on Meetinghouse.
To increase awareness of Dover's heritage, the Dover Historical Commission and the Dover Historical Society have established a voluntary program to provide house markers bearing the construction date and, when desired, the name of the original owner or builder.
Any house built before 1929 and retaining its basic design integrity is eligible. The Dover Historical Commission and the Historical
Society will make the determination of eligibility jointly.
A contribution of $150 covers the cost of the marker, research guidance, mounting and a year's membership in the Dover Historical Society.
For further information or obtain an application, click here to visit the Historical Commission's page on the Town's website. For questions about the Marker Program, call Paul Tedesco (508-785-1933) or Richard Eells (508-785-1538).
Although they are separate organizations, the Dover Historical Society and The Dover Historic Commission often cooperate on projects such as this.
The Commission is appointed by the Board of Selectmen with it's operation funded by the Town of Dover.
The Society is a private organization, supported entirely through membership fees, donations and grants with no funding from the Town.
The Dover Historical Society
PO Box 534
Dover, MA 02030
5 0 8 - 7 8 5 - 1 8 3 2